Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review-In Honor

I bought this book used when it first came out but it ended up being relegated to my basement, which is generally where books go to sit unread.  But then I saw that Jessi was coming here for part of her group tour and I decided that I would read this book because it was short and Trish Doller (author of Something Like Normal) recommended it to me.  Although I have Jessi's fist novel I hadn't read it, so I wasn't entirely sure what I was getting into, I knew the basic premise of the book and I knew that it was a contemporary novel, but beyond that I wasn't sure what the story would turn into.  First I think I have to talk about the little aspects of the book that I just adored. One was the HUGE number of Supernatural references.  I'm not 100% positive that Jessi watches the show, but all of the little hints to it made just made me SO happy, because that's a show that I really enjoy. The other thing I liked was that the singer reminded me of Taylor Swift (although that could just be me), I just thought that was neat.  In terms of plot I was pleased, there was emotion to it and it wasn't one of those books that was just fluff (but don't get me wrong, I love fluff books from time to time, but there's a time and a place for them).  I also found myself rather pleased with the somewhat LACK of a romantic plot.  Usually I love a good romance in a book, the swoony boy (don't worry, there is one), and the sexy times, you can't not love them, but that wasn't the point of the book.  I'm sure some authors would have made it more about the romance, but I didn't mind the fact that it "lacked" that aspect.  It was a powerful book at it's heart, and although the ending was rather open-ended I though that also fit with the overall plot and theme of the story.  If you're looking for a good down-to-earth book that is a whirlwind of emotion and is more REAL than some of the other contemporary books out there I would highly suggest you take a look at this one, because it's fresh.



4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment