Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Review-These Broken Stars


I don't remember when I first heard about this novel, but when I read what it was about I knew I had to read it.  I've been a Star trek fan since I was a little girl, so there was really no way I wasn't going to read it.  I requested a copy months ago and I just kept putting it off because I had other books to read that came out before, and then by the time it wasn't too early I had heard it had made people cry.  I'm always weary of books that might make me cry, so I was both excited and anxious to read it, and it made me read slower than usual.  That being said I really loved this book.  The dual POV was great, it helped the story along and personally I love getting into the head-space of both a male and a female.  The book was an odd mix of genres, part sci-fi, part mystery, part survival story, and although that might not work for every book Amie and Meagan pulled it off flawlessly.  Honest truth, I'm still a little confused as to what the whispers actually were, although I have a basic idea so I'm not totally lost.  There was also one part of the book I was confused about, which was Lilac's secret.  I thought it was something different but when it was reveled it made a lot  more sense than what I assumed.  Both main characters were real and the fact that they transformed so magnificently across the book was a great.  The plot was artfully crafted and despite some gut-wrenching scenes in the middle the ending was also very suited for the book and gave the characters the justice they deserved.  While I'm sad that the next book in the series won't be about these two characters I've grown to love I'm excited to see what happens in the next books, and think that the idea of having companion novels for a sci-fi series that involves a crashed ship is something bold and inventive.  The only book I can think of in the YA age range that even touches this one is Beth Revis' Across the Universe series, and even then the overlap is only slight.  This is a great addition to YA lit and I can't wait to see more from both of these authors both independently/with a separate author or independently.

Out December 10, 2013


4.5/5 dust spirits 

*Thanks to Disney-Hyperion for providing me with an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment