Sunday, August 31, 2014

Review-The Girl From the Well

For some reason I thought this had been likened to The Ring (originally Ringu in Japanese), and seeing as I would watch that movie over and over again around the age of 7 (my dad wasn't great with "appropriate") the fact that someone had finally written a YA book compared to it, I was ecstatic.  Having re-read the blurb I now realize it was actually pitched as Dexter meets The Grudge (both of which I have seen, although I've only seen the [lame] American version of the latter) and while this is not a false description I personally would have pitched it as including The Ring.  Based on the description I think I was expecting something different than what I ended up reading, and while I am slightly saddened by this fact the actual book was still a very enjoyable read.  The integration of Japanese culture was fantastic and while this book was mainly about a ghost and a boy possessed by a ghost there were some pieces of it that spoke to something much deeper than that.  The writing style of this book was one that in all honesty I don't think I've seen before.  It was poetic and compelling, but it was also unlike any other book I have read and there is no doubt in my mind that while some people (like myself) will enjoy the style, there will be others who will not be able to stand it.  The closest thing I can compare it to is perhaps the style of writing seen in Taherah Mafi's Shatter Me, but it is by no means exactly like that.  The other unusual thing about this novel, which may or may not draw people to it, was the lack of a romantic subplot.  That's not to say there was no love in the book, because there was, but it was mostly the love between a family and how the connection between them means that they will do anything for each other.  Overall I was very pleased with this novel, and while there were some things I wish had been slightly different I was thrilled with the ending and how everything played out.  Fans of the The Ring will enjoy the bits and pieces that are similar to the story-line and there is no lack of blood and terror.  I loved seeing Japanese horror find its way into the YA world and I hope to read more from Chupeco in the future for she is an author to watch.


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Sourcebooks Fire for providing me with a copy of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment