Thursday, March 12, 2015

Review - Bones & All


Written By: Camille DeAngelis
Published By: St. Martin's Press (MacMillan)
Release Date: March 10, 2015
Pages: 292
Genre: Horror, Coming of Age
Source: Finished copy from publisher for review

Maren Yearly doesn’t just break hearts, she devours them. 

Since she was a baby, Maren has had what you might call "an issue" with affection. Anytime someone cares for her too much, she can’t seem to stop herself from eating them. Abandoned by her mother at the age of 16, Maren goes looking for the father she has never known, but finds more than she bargained for along the way. 

Faced with love, fellow eaters, and enemies for the first time in her life, Maren realizes she isn’t just looking for her father, she is looking for herself. The real question is, will she like the girl she finds?





This was one of my most anticipated releases of 2015 and I was so thrilled to end up being on the street team!  I feel like right off I should say that this book is not for everyone.  It's dark, it's gritty, and there are parts of it that are downright gross, but if you can get past that it's a very original, enjoyable read.  While it's being marketed and sold as an adult novel it is very much a YA novel, seeing as the protagonist is 16 years old and trying to figure out who she is without her mother.  Despite having a main character who eats people whole, bones and all (hence the title), the book is largely a coming of age story along with learning to accept yourself for who you are, which is an important message.  There were also some lines that I really loved and thought were very artfully worded, which doesn't always happen.  I will say that there were a few things that either struck me as odd or confused me in some way, those things were as followed; first, there was the time period, the book actually takes place back in the late 90's which I wasn't expecting.  It wasn't a problem though, so much as just a shock and, initially I was a little confused as to parts that seemed outdated (as it turns out they were).  The other thing that I found slightly confusing was that things happened in the novel and the main character made some sort of "ahh, now I see" deceleration when I as a reader did not.  That was slightly jarring and I found myself going back a page or two trying to figure out it I just skipped over something important or if I just didn't "get the joke" so to speak.  I would have liked to see more focus on the eaters, they fascinated me and while there was some information it did at times seem very glossed over, but I think that's more of a personal thing, seeing as the idea of cannibalism is something I find intreguing. As a heads up I do have to say that there were a few places where the story lagged somewhat, but once I got through them - and they didn't seem to last very long - I was pulled back into the story and things got going again.  Overall it was a deliciously unique novel that those with a flare for the macabre will enjoy, and I'm excited to see what the author comes up with next.


4/5 stars

1 comment: