Thursday, October 13, 2011

Review-The Scorpio Races

This review is really hard to write, not because I didn't like the book, I really did, but because I feel it hasn't had the time to sink in even though I finished it about three hours ago.  Maggie calls this her favorite book, which she says is dangerous because her other books may come and murder her in her sleep, and I can't say that I don't agree.  It's different from her bestselling series Wolves of Mercy Falls series but not in a bad way.  I felt that this book was a lot like the movie Hidalgo and although I'm not a fan of horses I was plesently surprised.  When I read that the book was about flesh-eating horses I was game, and Maggie really portrays them well.  The ending, without giving anything away, was perfect in all the right ways and leave things to the imagination, which is really something I feel Maggie does well, in this book especially.  The action is there from the first page and even though the race doesn't begin until about 50 pages from the end of the book it still seems to keep you interested the whole way through.  I also enjoyed the fact that it stood up for women in a way, and that there was still that small hint of romance and friendship that makes you warm and fuzzy inside.  I'm sure that this is a stand alone novel (granted I thought that about Shiver as well) although I would love to see into the world again, because Thisby was such a beautiful place.  It had that feel where you weren't quite sure what time period it was set it, but some how that didn't really matter.  I can't wait to see what Maggie cooks up next because all her novels are magical with a sort of twist that only she can pull off without being killed in her sleep by a crazy fan.

Released October 18, 2011


4.5/5 dust spirits

1 comment: