Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Review-The Disenchantments

I picked this book up because it had a blurb by Nova Ren Suma on it, and I just loved her book Imaginary Girls and because it was half off (it had been slightly used, but you couldn't really tell).  I finally picked it up because of two things, one: Trish Doller said it was amazing, and I loved Trish's book and I now look for her to contemporary book knowledge, and two: Nina is coming to Seattle this month for a tour with Gayle Foreman and Stephanie Perkins!  It really reminded me of a modern The Perks of Being a Wallflower which I enjoyed.  This book has so many great lines in it, and when I say this next part I really mean it.  This book is life.  No, I don't mean that it's my life or that it's the best thing I've ever read, I mean that it's one of those books that captures what it's like to be a teenager perfectly.  There were so many parts that just really struck me as being right just like when it came to Perks.  Nina's book is just beautiful, and what makes it even better is that it's from a boy's point of view, which you never really see, especially when it comes to contemporary novels.  The blend of music and love and life in the novel is just right, I don't know what else I can say to make you want to pick it up.  It's a coming of age book that I think everyone should read because it makes you think about your life, but it also lets you know that it's okay if you don't have it all figured out right now.  It touches on friendship and love, sex and music, it's also a great road trip story.  It's a fun, quick read that will make you laugh and make you nod your head in agreement because Nina knows what she's talking about and writes it so real it's almost scary.  I'm so glad I decided to read this book before I meet Nina and I'll be looking into her other book as well as any further books she publishes.  To say this book is a masterpiece is just about right and if you liked Perks or contemporary books in general you should pick this one up.



5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment