Saturday, October 20, 2012

Review-The Diviners

First let's make it clear that I generally don't read books that are set in an time era later than the early 90's and seeing as this book took place in the 20's I was a little hesitant.  With that being said I have to admit that I was REALLY pleased with the whole book.  The story, the characters, the writing, the setting, it was all fresh and new and engrossed me fully.  Now you all know how much I love a good serial killer book, as well as anything that is a little spooky/scary, and after reading the first chapter my interest had been piqued.  Yes, it did take me a little while to finish the book, but it was over 500 pages and with school and everything my life has been a little hectic.  Again Libba has written a book that pushes some boundaries and actually had me guessing until almost the last minute.  In this book Libba explores things such as sexuality (yup, there's a gay character), race (it's set in the 20's), and to my great amusement there was also some great philosophical questions along with the occult and a few other odds and ends.  I read the book mainly because Libba was coming to do a signing and after hearing her talk and then reading the rest of the book I was amazed to see how much real history she incorporated into the novel.  Not everything was tied up in the end, so there will defiantly be at least one more book in the series, and as long as the second one is just as good as the first I would be glad to read a third.  Somehow Libba manages to mix humor with the occult, a strong female protagonist, some romance, and a few gruesome scenes here and there into one book that will appeal to both boys and girls alike.  I do have to warn you that there are some parts in the book that might upset some people due to semi-graphic nature, but all of Libba's books have something that could upset someone at any time, which isn't any reason not to read a book.



4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment