Sunday, February 10, 2013

Review-Mind Games

When I heard about this book I was really excited because it sounded like it would be right down my alley, and when it was a title that was given to bloggers at the dinner I was ecstatic because that means I would get an ARC!  It took some time for me to get to because of all the other books I had to read, but now that I've finally gotten to it I'm not sure why I didn't read it sooner.  I'd read Kiersten's debut novel when it came out and I loved it, the spunky, funny character that Evie was, and Lend wasn't too bad either (actually he was more than not bad), but this...this book...I'm still not entirely sure it was written by the same person.  It's raw, it's gritty, it's dark, and the style, the style is NOTHING like her previous trilogy.  Myself, I enjoyed the style of writing, I found it a lot like Tahereh Mafi's writing, only without the strike-throughs.  There was repetition of words, but it wasn't nonsense, it was a train of thought.  It was a lot like MY train of thought sometimes.  The dual POV was genius, and what was even better was the fact that we didn't just see what was happening in the present, we also saw what was happened in the past, and those things that happened were connected to the things that were happening.  The dynamics of the sister's relationship was fascinating, and reading how Kiersten created/explained their powers was unique.  Fia reminded me of Buffy from Joss Whedon's Buffy the Vampire Slayer, not in looks, but in her spunk and her personality and her brokenness.  The fact that she was venerable made her even more real, which I appreciate in a heroine, because it shows that to be strong you don't have to be perfect.  I didn't expect what was going to happen, and that's part of what I liked about it, along with the action and the psychology.  Great novel, although completely off road from where she went before, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Sometimes when author's deviate from previous books it doesn't work, but Kiersten did a fantastic job, and I can't wait for book two in the series, and I can't wait to see what her next books hold.

Out February 19, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment