Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Review-Cress

Two years ago I read a debut novel that blew me away and every year since I've been eager to read the next books in the series.  I look forward to getting my hands on the books and just tearing through them, because somehow Marissa manages to make each book better than the last.  There is nothing about her books that I don't like; the setting is amazing, the plot is intricately woven, the characters are so much fun, and the writing is superb.  One of the things I love most about this books are the fact that they're companion novels and sequels at the same time.  Each one introduces a new character, that is also based on a different fairy tale heroine, while simultaneously continuing the story-line of each of the previous main characters.  This novel introduces Cress, the futuristic version of Rapunzel, if Rapunzel lived on a spaceship and was an expert hacker, and how her life has come to intersect the lives of Cinder and Scarlet.  We also get a small glimpse of Winter, the character that will be introduced in the fourth and final book of the series.  I am in awe of how Marissa has managed to intertwine all of the plots and, despite the grave events happening, manages to add a bit of lightness to it with her humor.  She also puts in just the right amount of romance so it's there, but it doesn't overshadow the plot or seem out of place.  The book itself was really long, over 500 pages, but it still doesn't seem to be long enough; I didn't want it to end.  Hopefully in about one year I will have the final installment of the series in my hand, although there's no doubt in my mind that it too is going to be amazing, along with any other books she decides to write.  If you haven't picked up her books yet I highly recommend checking them out because you won't be disappointed.



5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to MacMillan for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment