Sunday, February 9, 2014

Review-Split Second

When I love the first novel in a series I'm generally hesitant to read the sequel because what if it sucks!?  What if it kills me!?  These are important questions to ask, so every time I read a sequel I feel like I'm taking a giant leap of faith in allowing an author more time to entice me, and Kasie did not disappoint.  In fact, I might have even liked this book better than the first one.  If there's one thing I'm crazy about it's a well done dual POV novel, and this was one of those books that managed to pull it off flawlessly.  I had asked Kasie when I finished Pivot Point if this novel was also going to be split up into "searches" like the first one was, and she responded that, no, it wasn't.  At first I wasn't sure about this, because when you change the format (for lack of a better word) of the second novel in a series it can be a point of hesitation for readers.  In this book Kasie introduces an entirely new narrative; we get to see through the eyes of Addie's best from Lila, as well as through Addie's eyes.  That being said Kasie does keep up the general in the compound then in the Norm world and so on when it comes to the main setting of each chapter, which was cool.  We don't see a large number of new characters in this book, but what we do see is another side of many of them, along with more of characters from the first book that we know and love (or hate).  Honestly I was so thrilled with how this book turned out, and I wouldn't mind reading more about these characters (maybe in a third book, or a short story or something).  Kasie has such a fun style of writing and her story-lines are entertaining, as well as appropriate for the younger-aged audiences.  Her boys are super swoony (Trevor is MINE!) and her female characters are likable and I would love to have them as a friend.  If you haven't checked out her books I would highly recommend you do so, because she has something for everyone, and her first two are out in paperback already, so there's really no excuse to not try them.  Whatever is next for Kasie, be it more paranormal or more contemporary, I'll for sure pick them all up and devour them with equal enthusiasm because I'm not sure that she can do any wrong.

Out February 11, 2014


5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Secret Garden Books and Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment