Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review-Born Wicked

I was rather reluctant about this book at first because of the fact that it was set in the past.  Yes, it was an alternate past, but I am generally not a fan of novels set in the past because they don't hold my interest.  This one was very different though, I was highly intrigued, even with all of the fancy dresses and the frippery.  I'm not a fancy person nor am I one for fancy things but Jessica manages to make even fancy things fascinating to someone like me.  The story was so original, especially in the setting. I was intrigued by how she managed to craft such a great world that was so real and as well as being different from what really happened.  The characters were really great.  Three head-strong sisters who are hiding a secret that could get them killed.  Two guys, one of whom is hotter then the other.  Jessica has managed to craft a magical novel with a plot that will have you riveted until the last minute even if you don't like period novels.  It was elegantly written and reminded me of Cassie Clare's Infernal Devices Trilogy.  There were twists and turns (I saw most of them coming) and very steamy kisses that would not have been acceptable had anyone found out about them.  The spells really reminded me of those in Harry Potter because the names seemed magical but easy enough to remember that anyone could hold onto it.  I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes period novels, enjoys books with magic, and really likes the kissy scenes.  I know I really like the kissy scenes and the ones in this book were great.  This whole book was just fantastic, I can't wait to see what happens next in the series (and I really hope there will be more kissing in books two and three!).  Jessica is a debut author to look out for, and she really shows that women can get things done!

Released February 7, 2012


5/5 dust spirits

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I adored this book. It may have had a slow beginning but everything changed when you learned about the sisters more, the history behind their families and especially when you meet . . . Finn. <3 Loved Finn.

    The writing definitely reminded me of Cassandra Clare's style.

    ReplyDelete