Thursday, June 7, 2012

Review- Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

I bought this book when it was still in hardback and Borders was still around, but put it off for a long time.  I finally decided to read it because the Fierce Reads tour is coming up and Lish is part of it.  This book is the first in a series, but the second book doesn't come out until later this year.  I was pleased with this book because of a few things.  One, the main character is a guy, and he's not a girly guy either, he's an honest to God teenage boy.  The story is rather dark, but I think that this makes the story all the better, because along with the dark Lish keeps it light in some areas.  She also has such a great idea, it's so fresh and new, and the supernatural element hasn't really been used at all in the YA genre, or any genre for that matter.  I also enjoyed the chapter titles, I'm not sure if they're all songs or lyrics, but most of them are, and they're really fun.  The whole book was so much fun.  It was action packed and funny, and the main character being a boy made it a book that both genders can enjoy with ease.  The only thing that threw me a little was the change in narrators from time to time, but once you figure out whose talking it's easy to fall right back into the story.  This was a really quick read and I will be picking up the next installment to see how Lish moves on with the story and the characters now that everything has played out.  This is a great boy book, probably one of the best ones that I've read this year, and it's even better because the characters were so real and the story so fresh.


4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment