Friday, June 15, 2012

Review-Through to You

Emily is my debut author to interview for the month of October, and seeing as I've been pestering her ever since her book got a cover to read it, I'm sure she's glad I finally found a copy for myself.  It took me a long time to finish the book, but that's because I was sick and didn't feel up to reading.  Once I put my mind to it and I didn't feel as crappy I breezed right through it.  Emily has managed to make a novel that blurs the lines between contemporary and sci-fi/fantasy.  It's not quite sci-fi/fantasy, but you can't call it contemporary either, like Nova Ren Suma's Imaginary Girls.  It's a short book, less then 300 pages, but I think it has a deeper meaning.  I really felt like there was more to the book than just the basic plot line.  It felt like a book about second chances, but also about how maybe things were better the way they ended up, and that a second chance is exactly what you needed to finally see that.  The other thing I loved about this book was that it was written from a Male's POV.  You don't see that very often in YA lit, especially when there's a pretty girl on the cover.  Emily did a great job at getting inside a teenage boy's head.  She did a great job in just getting inside of a teenager's head, as well as one who is grieving.  Everyone could learn a little something from this book, maybe about letting go, maybe about loving, and maybe even about being open to things we can't exactly explain.  Second chances aren't always what a person needs, but sometimes when you learn that a whole new world opens up.  Emily has created a beautiful debut novel that will appeal to contemporary and sci-fi/fantasy fans alike.  When this book comes out in October I suggest you go out and buy it (or better yet pre-order it) so you can read it right away.  I can't wait to see what Emily comes up with next because I'm sure she's going to be one of those authors that is amazing, if a little less known.  But me, I'm here to make sure that last part doesn't happen.

Out October 2, 2012


4.5/5 dust spirits

1 comment:

  1. Lovely review! I've been anxious for this one ever since I first saw the cover and synopsis, and it's great to hear that you loved it. It sounds really wonderful; I love books that have more what's simply on the surface.

    ReplyDelete