Saturday, December 29, 2012

Top 12 Debut Novels I read in 2012

This year there were SO many great debuts that came out, and I read 29 of them!  I enjoyed all of them so picking just 12 is really hard, but to me the following were the best debuts I read this year (these are in no particular order) and a little snippet as to why I loved it so much.

1. Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
I did a re-read of this book (so even though I read it last year for the first time it still counts as being read this year, and as a debut this year!) and I can honestly say I loved it just as much the second time around, and maybe even more.  The world building was amazing, the dual POV was genius, and the romance was HOT!  The plot was fresh and new, and it just pulled me in from the very beginning and I couldn't put it down until it was over.  I can't wait to get my hands on the second book (seriously, it can't come fast enough)!








2. Cinder by Marissa Meyer
This is such a great retelling of Cinderella and it's set in the future, so what's not to love?  Amazing premise, great characters, and there's even a plague!  There's something here for fans of original fairy tales as well as fans of sci-fi, so since I like both it's not hard to see why I loved this book.  Oh sequel, can't you come faster?











3. Starters by Lissa Price
Another great dystopian novel that doesn't just look at the world after it's ended, but at growing up in that world.  The premise is also fresh, and the characters are not at all whiny.  The mystery is also an exciting part of the book, and I have to say I'm a little bummed that the sequel won't be out until next year.










4. Something Like Normal by Trish Doller
This is one of the few contemporary books on my favorites list this year, but boy what a book it is.  I read it in less than a day and I just fell in love.  I laughed, I cried, my heart broke and was put back together. I think it takes a special person to write about something as controversial as the Afghan war, and while it's not the main focus, it's there in the background, and it don't pull punches.  It's about living and leaning to live with loss, and getting back to normal when your world has been turned around.







5. Unraveling by Elizabeth Norris
So thanks to this book I started watching The X Files, but that's not the only reason I loved it.  Another book with a fresh plot, strong characters, and a yummy boy.  Plot twists that I didn't see coming kept me on my toes, and now that there's a sequel I'm even more excited!  The voice was fresh too and props for mentioning Ebola in the book!










6. Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock
Basically this book was The Body Finder, only instead of a girl who can find dead bodies it had werewolves in it (that's a terrible description, but that's pretty much why I loved it so much).  And the romance, swoon.  I'm really a sucker for a good mystery, can you tell?  Now if we had the title for book two, or better yet, just book two itself.










7. Of Poseidon by Anna Banks
Why do I love this book so much? Hmm, let's see. One, it's just so FUNNY!!!  I love when a book is funny but it doesn't seem like it's trying to hard (which can be a rare thing). Two, ohmysweetgoodness Galen, SO HOT!  Three, mermaids.  Well...they are, but they aren't. They don't like to be called mermaids.  Please sequel, come out NOW because I need to read you.









8. Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo
This is one of the first high fantasy novels I've ever read, and I loved it so much.  Everything about it was so fresh and so deep I just couldn't get it over the fact that this author had never been published before.  Magic and culture and romance, there was nothing this book didn't have!  I have high hopes that the second one will follow in its footsteps.









9. Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
Another contemporary novel, this one just melted my heart.  I've always loved the bad boy-good girl pairing, and with the Perfect Chemistry series over I needed my fix, and boy was this it!  So sweet, so well done, and SO sexy, I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, because if it's anything like this it will be HOT!










10. Auracle by Gina Rosati
Another novel that was a lot like The Body Finder, it wasn't exactly a hard read, but it had murder and a cute boy, so count me in.  The idea of astral projection was a really great addition to the book, and although it's just a standalone I would LOVE to see a sequel, or at least more from the author in the future.  It takes talent to write almost an entire book where your main character can't actually be seen, heard, or felt.









11. Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger
Yes, this book is a middle grade novel, but it was so much fun, and plotted perfectly.  The characters were great and the twists and turns were surprising too!  Hopefully this will be the next Harry Potter because if you ask me it fits ALL of the bills!  Perfect for all ages I can't even express how great this book was and how excited I am for book two!

12. Falling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
I know that this book is written under a pen name of an author who has written more than one book with her REAL name, but since this is her first book under this pen name I'll count it as a debut.  The four POVs were really great, and the story was powerful despite being a high fantasy novel.  It was just packed with action, and that could be a bad thing for some people, but it didn't bother me in the least. I can't wait to see how the second book unfolds because with that much in book one book two will have to be a knock-out!








Honorable Mentions

         

1 comment:

  1. Great list, a few of those would have been on mine if I had made a list. Cinder, Under the Never Sky, Of Poseidon, Shadow and Bone, Unraveling. So many great books!

    ReplyDelete