Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Review-Icons

This was one of those really big titles at ALA midwinter this year, and I was super excited to get my hands on it because I really enjoyed the books that Margaret had co-written with Kami Garcia.  When I read the back of the book I was really excited because the premise sounded really entertaining.  Although when I finally dug into what was INSIDE I was slightly less than impressed.  I'm not sure WHAT, but it felt like something was missing, not in terms of the writing (someone joked that it was another author), but more in terms of plot or character.  I can't put my finger on it specifically, so I can't tell you what it was that put me off, but it just didn't seem like it was all that if could have been.  If I HAD to put it into words I would say it was a combination of how unknown the aliens were, although that was probably on purpose, but put it together with the fact that I was expecting a little more action,and maybe some more romance that MIGHT be what didn't do it for me.  Now, don't get me wrong, it was an okay book, enjoyable, interesting, original, if not somewhat confusing.  The concept was really great, and I loved all of the little top secret communications before/after each chapter because it was different.  In my opinion there is a very fine line between giving the reader too much information and giving them not enough, and in this case Margaret didn't, in my opinion, give us enough information.  As a whole the novel was enjoyable but not something that I would consider a must buy book.  It may appeal to those of you who enjoyed Margaret's first novels as well as people who are looking for an alien novel geared towards a YA audience that's more about secrets than the fear of an invasion.  I'll probably pick up the sequel when it comes out, but it won't be at the top of my list.

Out May 7, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thank you to Little, Brown for providing me with an ARC (via ALA midwinter) in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment