Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review-The Program

Two years ago I stumbled upon Suzanne's third published novel, A Need So Beautiful, and I fell in love.  The story was original and so achingly beautiful I knew I would pretty much read anything this author wrote, so when I heard about this book I was hooked.  Again Suzanne came up with a truly original idea and again she packed an emotional punch with just her words.  This book, it's fiction in most senses of the word, and if I HAD to pick a category to place this novel in I would chose sci-fi, but it really doesn't fit in one place.  There's SO much truth in this novel despite it being mostly made up, and to me that makes it even more amazing that it already was.  Sloane lives in a world where suicide is a disease and teenagers are killing themselves at an alarming rate.  The only thing that works to save these kids is The Program, but it's not what it seems.  Having gone through some of these things myself, some of the feelings, I understood what Sloane was going through and that the emotions were real.  You know when you read a book and you're in sock about how it makes you feel? This, for me, was one of THOSE books.  The premise itself was horrifying and intriguing and somewhat tempting.  It also brought so many questions into my mind.  The main one being if you take away a person's memories are they still the same person?  Personally I fell in love with this novel the moment I started it, and I can't wait to see what happens next.  I'm also now positive that it's impossible for Suzanne to write a book that doesn't make me feel ALL the things.  This is a book that I think everyone should read, but I will warn you that it's intense, so be careful about how fast you read it and maybe have something fluffy to read if things get to real.

Out April 30, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

Thanks to Simon & Schuster for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment