Friday, July 6, 2012

Review-Something Strange and Deadly

Susan Dennard is my debut author for July, and her book has zombies in it, so I was all for reading it ASAP!  Susan has created a great story that has romance, a strong female lead, action, and to top it all off zombies, what more could you want?  If I had to place this book in a genre I would say steampunk, because it does have that feel to it, but it doesn't exactly fit into the category with a nice little bow.  At first the main character did seem a little irritating, but as the book moved on I started to grow fond of her, and her attitude wasn't what you would expect of a woman wearing a petticoat either.  I found it strange that the zombies were not your usual zombies that come from a virus/infection, and all that they bite turn into them, but just your run of the mill necromancered dead bodies.  The sexual tension was extraordinary, and the fact that it was set in a time when a woman couldn't be seen with a man alone much less touch him in any way just made it all the better.  Although I'm not positive, I have no doubt that Susan did extensive research on Philadelphia in the time the book is set, which is another thing that you sometimes don't see.    The mother and a few of the side characters irked me a bit, but being a girl who is not caught up in frivolous ideals of fashion I can see why they would and feel they were important to the story and could not be gotten rid of.  There were some great twists in the book that, although did not catch me by surprise are sure to raise a few eyebrows and make people go "WHAT!?" which I think is something every author would like to do.  All in all I was very pleased with the book as a whole.  This book was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see what happens next, especially after all that Eleanor has been through, and I'm very excited to continue the journey full of necromancers (who are, in my opinion entirely underrated).


Out July 24, 2012


4.5/5 dust spirits

This ARC was given to me (not bought or paid for) by Secret Garden Books in Ballard (Seattle, WA), a lovely indie bookstore that has been in service for 35 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment