Thursday, January 31, 2013

Review-Shades of Earth

I read the first book in this series before it came out, the second one right before this one hit shelves, and although I preordered this book I didn't get to it until after it had been out for a good week.  Beth has really created a trilogy that is unlike anything out there for teens at this point in time, and for this I am so grateful.  Having always been a Star Trek fan I just loved the fact that there was a YA book set in space, and to top it all off there was a murder mystery.  Now this one we got to take a look at a another planet.  The world was so rich and the new characters we got to meet were fascinating   She was able to create such a story that even I wasn't able to figure out what was happening before the main characters (and for me that is like the greatest honor an author can possibly receive if they are writing a mystery novel).  I'm always sad to see a series end, so sometimes I avoid the end of a series all together, but with this one I decided that I should finish it before I forgot what happened in book two, and I'm honestly glad I did decide to finish this series.  Beth didn't pull her punches, people died like they always have in her books, and I think she had a ton of guts to do what she did.  All of the tech in the novel, mainly the glass, was interesting to read about, I mean, just think if we had that kind of thing here.  The other thing I adored was the idea that the bad guys weren't really the bad guys, I mean, they were, but they weren't.  There was also one of those philosophical questions that I've been noticing more and more in YA novels, and I enjoy reading about them because they're important, they make people think.  As a last novel (or just as a novel) this was a good book, and while I'm sad to see the series end I'm glad it ended like it did, and I can't wait to see what Beth comes up with next.  With the two books in the series out in paperback if you haven't tried them I would check them out.



5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment