Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review-Zorgamazoo

Today I went to the used bookstore because I got a ton of gift cards to there for Christmas.  Now, when I go to a used bookstore I like browse all of the shelves in the teen section (which also happens to be where they shelve middle grade novels as well) and I happened upon this book at the very bottom of one of the book cases and I thought "this looks interesting".  So I picked it up, read the inside flap, and though "why not, I'll read it to my younger brothers in the car when we go on drives".  When I got home I tried to read it to my youngest brother, but he didn't want to hear it, so I went along and read it myself.  It was a really quick read because of two things. One, it was entirely in verse.  And it rhymed!  I must give this author props. That is CRAZY impressive! 280 pages of poem stanzas that rhyme.  The second reason was that it's a middle grade book, so it doesn't have a high reading level. Those things being said it was SO cute and I think there's more than just a story to take away from it (please be aware it did get a little dark at some times).  Personally when I finished it I saw a story about a girl who was brave, and even better, she didn't just look at who people were on the outside, but who they were on the inside.  She was creative and used her imagination throughout the whole book, which is something I can admire.  It was a great story and a quick read that reminded me a lot of Dr. Seuss in terms of style and made up words.  I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up dreaming in rhyme and nonsense tonight.  I know it's an older book, and I know it's for a younger audience than usual, but a good book is a good book.


4.5/5 dust spirits

I also wanted to share the first page from the book, because I think it applies to reading ALL books.

"Here 
is a story
that's stranger than strange.
Before we begin you may want to arrange:
a blanket,
a cushion,
a comfortable seat,
and maybe some cocoa and something to eat."

No comments:

Post a Comment