Sunday, August 26, 2012

Review-The Cavendish Home for Boys and Girls

This book is a middle grade title, which is something I usually don't read, but it sounded like a creepy fun read, so I decided to pick it up.  First I want to say I was a little shocked by how...prissy the main character was.  The second thing I was shocked by was the fact that it was rather spooky for a middle grade book.  With that being said I did enjoy the book and the character development that happened along the way.  The plot was really well thought out, and although it was a little predictable there were parts here and there that caught me off guard, which I was pleased with.  As I said before there were parts that I found a little more sinister than you would think appropriate, but it's one of those books that I feel is right on the edge of being a YA novel with younger-aged characters.  As for the characters my initial impression of Victoria was not great, but then I realized that I was just like her to a point when I was her age, and it made me think.  Yes, there were those moments when I wanted to yell at her and scream "What is wrong with you!" but then it dawned on me that a huge part of the story was how she transformed from the beginning to the end of the book.  The other huge part of the story that I just absolutely loved was the message that i think it gave to kids reading the book, and that was that it's okay to be imperfect.  To me this is such a great message and it really filled me with warmth, because in today's culture these things aren't always stated or shared.  All in all it was a deliciously creepy novel and I was really pleased with it.  I can't wait to see what Claire has up her sleeve for her next MG novel, and I can't wait to read her YA novel as well.

Out August 28, 2012



4/5 dust spirits

This ARC was given to me (not bought or paid for) by Secret Garden Books in Ballard (Seattle, WA), a lovely indie bookstore that has been in service for 35 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment