Friday, August 3, 2012

Review-Lies Beneath

I bought this book a while back but put it off because I had books that I needed to read, but when I met a kink in my current book I picked it up to see if the kink could be resolved.  This was a really fast read for me, even with sleep and such it took me less than 24 hours to read the book, and I have to say I was quite please by the result.  Brown has created a species of mer-people that are not your average "Ariels", and they're not sirens either.  They're killer mer-people, which brings it back to the original mythology where they would drown people out at sea just for the fun of it (although these ones do it to survive).  The other thing I particularly liked about this book was that it was narrated from a boy's POV, which you don't see very often in YA books.  That and the fact that when the changed from mer-people to people with legs it was PAINFUL (much like in Maggie Stiefvater's series Shiver), and that may make me sound crewel, but I mean really, their tails are splitting apart and forming into legs, which means you need different bones. So bravo on that as well Anne!  The plot was fresh, the voice was new, and the whole book was just so much fun to read.  I would recommend this book as a quick summer or weekend read, seeing as it's not too long, but then of course we have to wait to see what happens in book two (because YAY for two books!).  The book does wrap itself up as a stand alone, and I'm sure you wouldn't end up too much worse for the wear if you don't pick up the second one, but I for one can't wait to sink my teeth into (see how I didn't make an overused fin joke there? Pretty good of me) the second book and see how everything ends.  Anne is a lovely debut author with talent and I can't wait to see what she will write in the future.


4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment