Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Review-If I Lie

Recently I've noticed an increase in the number of YA novels that deal with the Afghanistan/Iraq war in one way or another.  If I Lie is one of those novels, but it's more than that.  Jackson has managed to weave a novel that not only deals with war and loss, but also about secrets and what it does to a person to keep them.  This novel has so much more to it than what's on the surface, and as a reader and a blogger I highly respect that.  The main character goes through some tough stuff, but she's not one of those whiny characters that makes you want to slap her and tell her to get a grip, she manages it all with a grace that most people wouldn't be able to manage in her place.  I also enjoyed how the story was told between now and back before everything changed for Quinn, and even though it could be considered confusing the way it was written made it quite clear to me which was which.  Saying all that I think I would have done a few things differently if I were Quinn, but then the story wouldn't have been what it turned out to be, so I can't fault the author for making the character who she is.  The story is one of self discovery as well as what it means to love when it comes to those in the military.  If you're a fan of contemporary novels you should pick this one up when it comes out, and even if you prefer paranormal I would recommend giving it a try because there's something heartwarming about a novel that makes you think and takes you into the real world like this one does.  Bravo Corrine, and I can't wait to see what you come up with next, because I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Out August 28, 2012


4.5/5 dust spirits

No comments:

Post a Comment