Thursday, September 5, 2013

Review-The Chaos of Stars

A few years ago I found this book called Paranormalcy and I just loved it.  It was funny and original and completely adorable, but at the same time heart-crushing (because that's how Kiersten works).  Then I found her new series that starts with Mind Games and it was thrilling and edgy and still heart-crushing (is anyone else seeing a pattern here?) so when I heard Kiersten was writing ANOTHER book I was like "oh, heck yes".  Let me tell you something before I continue, history isn't my thing.  Sure, I aced in all through school but I just really don't care about it, although ancient Egypt is one of the few areas that I enjoyed studying (it has to do with the mummies).  I think one of the main things I don't like about history is all of the dates and names. GOD the NAMES. I HATE the names.  Kiersten uses the ACTUAL names of the gods, which is probably a large part of the reason it took me a while to actually get into this book, but once I did I found myself enjoying it.  Having recently read Kendare Blake's Antigoddess and seeing all of these Greek myth-based books out it was really cool to see an Egyptian myth-based book, even if the names are a pain in the butt to say.  Kiersten did something new (AGAIN) and for that I give her ALL OF THE APPLAUSE.  I also loved the fact that Isadora was a human kid with god parents, although I'm still not exactly sure how that worked.  This book fell under the category of Kiersten's debut novels, it had a lighter feel to it (especially compared to Mind Games) which I'm glad to see, because I feel like Kiersten is really a lighter-feeling person (although I did ADORE Mind Games).  It was my own experiences and likes/dislikes that cause me to have some trouble with this one, it was by no way anything that Kiersten did that could make me go "well she needed to *insert something she could have done differently here*".  I'm thrilled that she branched out even more than she has for her writing, and fans of mythology and mythology series will eat this up (although it is a standalone novel).  I can't wait to see what she comes up with next, and I'm pretty sure that no matter what it is I will want to read it.

Out September 10, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Harper Teen for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment