Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review-Unbreakable

Earlier this year I read a book written by the other co-author of the Beautiful Creatures series and thought it was missing something, maybe a second author in the mix.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect when it came to Garcia's first lone novel, but I found that it did feel a little more together than Stohl's.  This seems to be one of the season's most anticipated books, and it had been compared quite often to the CW's beloved show Supernatural, which I've been a huge fan of for about four years.  When I heard it compared to said show I was super excited to read it, and less than 50 pages in I saw the similarities between the book and the show.  It's basically like a teen version of Supernatural with a female protag and a team instead of just two brothers (although there are two brothers).  The more I kept reading though the more I REALLY saw the similarities.  The two brothers, the methods the team used to fight the ghosts, the ending, all of it just poked at the back of my mind going "you've seen this before".  There might be some explanation for said similarities, I have no idea if there's lore on salt and cold-iron repelling ghosts, and there were differences, but it was just a little too similar for my tastes at some points.  The main character was also slightly aggravating, mainly because she had a photographic memory but kept forgetting basic things like "salt=no ghosts".  You think she might catch on a little faster to things that could get her killed.  I really enjoyed some of the side characters though, and would love to see more of them in the next books.  All of that being said it was a really fast read and it was enjoyable and engaging all the way through.  Fans of Supernatural will undoubtedly want to give this book a shot though, because it will appeal to most of the female fans.  Fans of Anna Dressed in Blood should also enjoy the book, along with Buffy fans, because it has the vibe as well.  The one thing it lacked in comparison to said shows and book was the snark, which does make some sense due to the fact that Garcia wasn't exactly known for all the witty dialogue, and there wasn't really much room for it in the story.  I look forward to reading the next book in the series to see where Garcia takes the story and am excited to see more of Garcia's writing with Stohl for their new series.

Out October 1, 2013


4.5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Little, Brown for providing me with an e-ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment