Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review-Frozen

Melissa came to my city earlier this year on tour for her final Blue Bloods novel, and despite the fact I've never read a word she had written I went because, well, when was the next time she was gonna be here?  At the signing she talked about this new book she was writing with her husband, and I thought it sounded pretty cool, so when a battered ARC showed up on my door along with Andrea Cremer's newest teen book I decided to give it a shot.  I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting when I opened the book, I mean, sure there's the synopsis that you can find on the Internet and somewhere on the book, but it didn't really tell me much about what the plot really was.  So honestly I came into the book with some confusion.  There were points in the book where I felt that things were being explained for no real reason, like the world was just being built, which I thought was odd because it seemed out of place.  That problem aside I did enjoy the book.  Melissa and Michael created a fascinating new broken world for the characters to explore, and all of the creatures that were included just made the book that much more fun.  The dual POV was interesting, and I'm assuming the girl's was written by Melissa and the boy's by Michael, which means that's double-y cool.  Overall I think that Melissa and Michael have created a very unique start to a series that holds of lot of promise for the future.  I'll be interested to see what happens in book two just because of how book one ended.  Having never read Melissa's previous books I can't really say "if you loved x book by her you'll love this" but Frozen reminded me of almost a mix between Under the Never Sky and Shadow and Bone with other things mixed in.  I also think that dragon lovers will be pleased with the direction the book takes (which is not a spoiler because, really, look at the O in the title!).

Out September 17, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Penguin for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment