Saturday, September 28, 2013

Review-Perfect Ruin

A few years ago I read an ARC of a debut novel that was given to me by a blogger friend, and I found that I enjoyed the book.  I have yet to actually finish said series (The Chemical Garden Trilogy), but when I heard of DeStefano's new book I was intrigued.  It sounded like it would be an utterly unique read, and seeing as I really enjoyed DeStefano's writing style I asked for an ARC, and when one showed up in the mail I was super happy that I would get to read it early.  DeStefano had been sharing small snippets of the book randomly or various social media sites, and each piece I read made me want to dig into my copy sooner and sooner, but I waited because I had other things to read.  When I finally sat down and dove into the world she had created there were a few thoughts in my mind.  The first was "wow, there are passages in this book that are SUPER amazing."  Like, I-could-see-people-tattooing-them-on-their-body-in-curly-script-to-live-with-forever-amazing.  Some of the quotes just spoke to me in a way that made me nod my head and go "I totally get that".  The other thing that popped out at me was the fact that the plot was kinda fuzzy.  Now, in this case when I say fuzzy I don't mean light and fluffy, I mean hazy and maybe not all there.  Sure there was a plot, of course there was a plot, but the POINT of the plot was lost on me at some points.  It was there, and I could kind of see it, but it wasn't really the main focus and some of what was happening really didn't relate to it much, in my opinion.  I think this book is a variation on the dystopian genre in some sense, and to me in a dystopian world there is a very distinct theme, which is "everything isn't really as perfect as it seems" which in a way was in this book, but it was very much pushed to the side for most of the story.  All of that being said I did enjoy the book.  The writing was amazing, the plot idea was unique and fascinating, and it kept me engaged enough to want to know what would happen next.  I'll be looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see where DeStefano takes this story, and I would recommend it to fans of her first series (although this one seems to be quite a bit lighter in some ways), and for those of you who like to think when reading a book, although not necessarily about the book, but about things in real life.

Out October 1, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Simon and Schuster for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment