Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Review-Not A Drop To Drink

For quite some time I've been hearing some pretty great things about this book, so naturally I was very interested in getting my hands on it and seeing what all the hype was about.  The one thing I kept hearing over and over again was the fact that this was a gritty book that didn't pull punches, which, in this day and age could cause some problems and will definitely raise some heads.  I have to say that one of the things that fascinated me the most about this I'm sure that there's more than one book that has a world where water is sparse, but while this could technically be considered a dystopian book that's not really what it is at its heart.  McGinnis writes a harsh unforgiving world where water is scarce and people will do anything to take the water that you might have.  I'm pretty sure that in dystopian books the author focuses on a seemingly perfect society that is actually teeming with problems, mostly government lies.  While there is a city in the book it's not talked about as paradise that's not the focus at all, the focus is on one girl and her house that has a much valued pond near it.  Overall there was really nothing wrong with the book and I enjoyed it a great amount, I just didn't enjoy it as much as it seems some people have, which I guess happens every once and a while.  That being said I loved the fact that McGinnis wrote such a bold and unique story.  At it's heart I think this book is almost about what some people will do to stay alive, and the things that change the way we look at things.  McGinnis wrote a stunning debut that I'm sure will make a splash once it hits shelves, and hopefully she will continue to write, because I would love to read another book by her sometime in the future.  Before you pick this book up be warned that there is death and swearing and insinuations of rape, so it's not exactly one for younger teens or for those with a faint heart, but should you feel like you can handle what it dishes out I would recommend it.

Out September 24, 2013


4/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Harper Teen (Katherine Tegen Books) for providing me with an ARC of this book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment