Monday, September 23, 2013

Review-Where the Stars Still Shine

Way back before this book even had a publishing deal I read a copy of it because I basically bugged Trish until she let me.  Back then I loved it so much, but I decided I should probably read a draft that had been edited and tweaked and what not for when it went on sale, so I didn't review it and waited until Trish traded an ARC of hers for some bracelets I made that go with the book.  If you've been with me for at least a year you know that I just adored Trish's debut novel Something Like Normal, so getting a chance to read her second book crazy early was beyond amazing for me.  Again, Trish writes with wit and feeling in such a way that I can't NOT love all of her characters, even if some of them drive me a little nuts.  There's a fine line between a character who makes you scream sometimes but you love them to death versus one who makes you scream and you want to slap.  Callie is that character.  Now you may be like "wait, what?  I don't want to read a book with a character that will make me scream" and usually I would say "very true" but in this instance I say "bah" because a HUGE part of the story is HER DEVELOPMENT, which brings her from why-the-hell-did-you-do-that character to just-let-me-give-you-big-hugs-and-squishes character.  Trust me on this.  Also, the BOY! WOW is this boy hot. I mean, Travis was nice but this guy, WOO, where's the fan!?  He is for SURE one of my favorite book guys.  The Greek culture in the book is super cool; although there are words that I'm sure I butchered because lord knows I don't speak Greek.  Since the moment I read this book last year to when I just finished it there's really nothing that I don't love about this book.  You guys, I was on the verge of tears when I was reading this, and I've read it twice before!  That's how good it is!  There's also the little note that my name is in the back in the acknowledgements, which is SUPER AMAZING I MEAN OH MY GOD, but that doesn't affect how I feel about the book, because I loved it back before it even had this title (previously it was titled All That Was Lost).  If you're not so sure go out and buy yourself a copy, because dude, if you like contemporary novels that have some substance to them this is a book you will no doubt love (and just think how pretty this cover will look on your shelf even if something nuts happens and you don't like it!!!).  And if you haven't read Trish's first book you now have no excuse because it will be out in paperback when this book hits the shelves!  Also, do you even have to ask about how much I want to read her third book? 

Out September 24, 2013


5/5 dust spirits

Please note that there is sex, swear words, death, drugs, and abuse in this book so it's not for a young audience.
*Thanks to Trish and Bloomsbury for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment