Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Review-Find Me

If you know anything about me you know that I can't pass up a good murder mystery.  All of those crime shows on TV?  I watch them.  All of the teen slasher flicks?  Yeah, those too (cause they're kind of the same thing), so when I heard about this book I was TOTALLY going to read it.  One thing most people don't know about me, I think it would be REALLY cool to be able to hack things, although the most I can do with computers is the basic Microsoft Office stuff, so there's no real chance for that, but I think it's cool when characters have cool hacking skills.  The main character was just like that.  I think the thing I liked most about her though, aside from her snark (because I do love snark) was the fact that despite being terrified (and, okay, maybe a little too paranoid about the cops) she did what she needed to do anyway because it would protect someone she loved.  To me there is nothing better than a character who does what they do to help others, especially if they're terrified to do it.  The plot was nice and twisty, and the fact that the dead girl was still such a major part of the story made it even better.  I'm actually embarrassed to say that I didn't actually figure out who the killer was, although I feel like maybe I should have, because really, it was CLASSIC nut-job.  The two things that I didn't like were the way that the character talked about "pushing her feet farther into the floor" (she used that phrase or something like that a LOT, and it didn't really make much sense to me, because, well, how do you do that?) and the second was the...I guess you would call it the epilogue.  Do I like things wrapped up into neat little bows?  Sure, I like bows, they're pretty and don't leave me going "but what about x!?" but this one felt a little...forced?  I would have been happy without it, and I do think there's such a thing as TOO neat.  It could have been there to set up a sequel, because the last paragraph made it seem like a second book could be in the works, but it also left it wrapped up a little TOO neat but at the same time too open, if that makes any sense.  Those things aside I enjoyed the book immensely and I hope that Romily will write more books along these lines in the future, but if not I do hope she will keep writing.

Out September 24, 2013


4.5/5 dust spirits

*Thanks to Harper Teen for providing me with an ARC in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment